Thursday, November 16, 2017

MY COUSIN VINNIE PERFORMS BACKGROUND CHECKS


I took my cousin Vinnie, the suburban real estate attorney, to a Celtics game recently. He always has a hard time reaching a
decision on where to eat before a game. The North End has too many options, and Vinnie seems to have an opinion about each of them. He arrived too late to snag a seat at the marble topped bar at my favorite oyster place, so we walked down Salem Street until he finally found a restaurant worthy of his patronage. He had pappardelle pasta with ground veal, beef and pork tomato ragù. He said it was delicious. 

As we started our usual exchange of war stories, I told Vinnie the story about a proposed P&S came across my desk for an expensive new home in an exclusive neighborhood, and I recognized the name of the buyer; and it was not just because he was a member of a prominent local family. I called my builder client and told him that the same buyer had attempted to buy fancy houses from two of my other builder clients during the past few years, but at each closing when it came time for the buyer to deliver a bank check, all we received was a story about how the family wealth was tied up in an off-shore trust account and it would take a week to deliver all of the funds. One of my builder clients had given the keys to the buyer before we were told the off-shore-trust-fund story, and our construction foreman had to rush to the house to change the locks before the moving van arrived. True story.

Vinnie told me to watch out for cell tower lease assignment agreements that essentially convey all rights in the cell towers and the land they are constructed upon in perpetuity. “There are a lot of cell tower lease acquisition companies out there, and some of them disguise the conveyance of the land rights in the boilerplate of the assignment. Sometimes the property owners don’t discover that they sold their land until 20 years later.” I thanked him for the tip while negotiating a littleneck from its shell in my cioppino stew.

Vinnie continued: “Paulie, after a few mishaps I am now performing ‘internet-checks’ from time to time regarding parties on the other side of most deals. For years I have been correcting title references and seller information when preparing or reviewing P&S agreements provided by sellers. And, more and more recently I have come across sellers who forgot that they had conveyed the property into a trust, or forgot that they conveyed out a sliver of their land 10 years ago. But recently I typed the name of a builder/seller into the registry web site and like a slot machine out rolled nothing but pages and pages of  ‘execution, execution, attachment, execution, attachment, attachment, attachment…’ I now use internet searches on a regular basis.”

Without taking a bite, Vinnie continued with an even better story. “I had a client that was about to partner with a new guy on a nice commercial project. I had a few conversations with him and I was troubled that he didn’t seem to follow my explanation of pre-existing non-conforming structures. The guy claimed to be a big time developer, but I got a funny feeling about him. I typed his name into Google™ and all kinds of interesting stories tumbled out. I found old newspaper stories about drug charges, charges of shoddy construction and a bankruptcy. I then typed his name into the Registry of Deeds website and found numerous executions and foreclosures. I then called my client and asked if he knew about the guy’s sorted past, and he did not. I thought it was odd that it took an old guy like me to know how to effectively use the Internet!”

“Crazy” was all I could say. But, in the future I am going to take Vinnie’s counsel and perform more background checks.


A columnist for REBA News former REBA president, Paul Alphen currently serves on the association’s executive committee and co-chairs the long-range planning committee.  He is a partner in the Westford firm of Alphen & Santos, P.C. and concentrates in residential and commercial real estate development, land use regulation, administrative law, real estate transactional practice and title examination .As entertaining as he finds the practice of law, Paul enjoys numerous hobbies, including messing around with his power boats and fulfilling his bucket list of visiting every Major League ballpark.  Paul can be contacted at palphen@alphensantos.com